A Community First Yorkshire event
Trustee Essentials Session 5 – Building an Inclusive Board
Only a third of trustees are women, 8% are people of colour and one third are under 50.
50% of charities report that their board does not reflect the communities they serve; and 74% of charities struggle to find the trustees they need.
What could an improved board diversity do for charities? What are the tried and tested practical actions you can take to recruit and retain diverse trustees?
This training will enable participants to build a robust base of equity, diversity and inclusion knowledge and awareness amongst all trustees.
This live, interactive training focuses on the role in practice. Along with our four other ‘bitesize learning’ sessions and ‘Being the Best Trustee’ our training will support you in your role as trustee and ensure you are meeting the Charity Good Governance Code.
See our other bite-size sessions:
- Trustee Essentials Session 1 – Being the Best Trustee: Induction and Refresher
- Trustee Essentials Session 2 – Understanding Risk is My Business
- Trustee Essentials Session 3 – Understanding Money is My Business
- Trustee Essentials Session 4 – Safeguarding Responsibilities for Trustees
- Trustee Essentials Session 5 – Building an Inclusive Board
- Trustee Essentials Session 6 – How to Successfully Recruit Trustees
Who should attend?
This training is particularly aimed at staff or volunteers of small to medium sized charities.
- Trustees keen to take the next step in performance
- Trustees wanting to take on more board responsibility
- Experienced trustees wanting a refresher.
Please note this training is aimed at organisations and groups based in North Yorkshire or delivering services within North Yorkshire.
What will you learn?
Objectives: to gain an understanding of:
- What inclusion means in a board context
- What diverse recruitment looks like in practice
- Barriers to trustee inclusion
- What it might feel like to be in a non-inclusive board environment
- Practical and dynamic steps trustees can take to create an inclusive board culture.
About the trainer
Shahida Iqbal, Director, Manar Associates Ltd
Shahida has extensive experience of supporting charities to work through governance issues.
Booking deadline date: Monday 31 October 2022, 12:00pm
If you have any questions about booking or invoicing please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01904 704177.
Attendees can receive refunds for cancellations up to 7 days before the event date.
This event is free to organisations in North Yorkshire with an income of up to £5k thanks to funding from North Yorkshire County Council.
Places for other organisations are £18pp (incl VAT) for this session only / £90 (incl VAT) for this session and 5 Trustee Essentials sessions.
If you are a small organisation that would struggle to attend this training, a limited number of bursary places may be available. Please contact email@example.com or 01904 704177 to discuss this further.
Please note that non-attendance on training you have booked on will require the full payment, this also applies to bursary and funded places. This is to allow as many participants as possible access to our training. See our Terms and Conditions for more information.